In order for University of Tennessee, Knoxville to reach its sustainability goals, we must take responsibility for how our energy is generated and how we utilize it.
Energy Conservation Policy
Enacted in 2008, this policy identifies energy conservation as a significant issue for UT and outlines steps to manage and reduce campus energy consumption.
The policy establishes that, during normal occupied hours, target indoor air temperatures in campus buildings shall be 68 degrees Fahrenheit for heating and 76 degrees Fahrenheit for cooling.
In addition, the policy sets guidelines for energy-efficient purchasing, computing, lighting, and water use by UT faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
Green Power Purchasing
UT has been recognized by the EPA as the #1 Green Power Purchaser of colleges and universities in the nation. In 2005, UT began purchasing green power through TVA’s Green Switch Program to stimulate demand for renewable energy in the Tennessee Valley and southeastern United States and offset a portion of the campus’s energy consumption. As of fiscal year 2017 (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017), the annual green power usage is 250,070,000 kWh or 250,070 RECs, accounting for 106% of our total electricity use.
During fiscal year 2017, UT consumed (generated and purchased) 235,148,607 kWh, follow the six tips below to help us be more mindful of energy usage, reduce our GHGs, and to Make Orange Green!
1. Turn off your computer when you are not using it for long periods of time, or put it on sleep mode for shorter periods when it is not in us
2. Keep blinds closed during the summer for a cooler room.
3. Open the blinds during the winter months for natural light and to have the sun help heat up your room.
4. Turn the lights off when you leave the room
5. Use a power strip for all appliances and turn it off when not in use
6. Add an extra layer before you turn the heat up
Last, be mindful of Peak Energy Hours
During certain times of the year we get charged three times the amount per kilowatt hour of energy. While it is always important to be mindful of energy usage, during peak times is it especially important.
- Winter: 5 – 11am
- Summer: 2 – 8pm