“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
— Margaret Meal
Many of UT’s environmental sustainability initiatives would not be possible without the help of our dedicated volunteers. Join UT Recycling and the Office of Sustainability to help Make Orange Green through environmental service on campus and in our community. Like us on Facebook to be among the first to learn about volunteer opportunities!
Spring 2014 Service Opportunities
8 & 15 February 2014: Project VEGGIE Garden Prep Days
- Throughout the semester, there will be plenty of opportunities to spend a day in the dirt with the student organization, Project VEGGIE. Prep days start in the garden at noon which is located by the tennis courts behind Apartment Residence Halls. For more details or any questions visit the Project VEGGIE website. (MORE DATES TO COME!)
21 February 2014: ‘Up to Us’ Box Fort Day
- No prior registration necessary for this service event! Join the Office of Sustainability, UT Recycling and UT’s Economics club on Pedestrian Mall from 8 am- 4 pm, as we build the world’s largest cardboard box fort. As a part of the Economics club’s Up to Us campaign to raise awareness of the increasing national debt, the fort will act as a visual representation of how big this problem is. The record setting number of cardboard boxes will also showcase the amount of cardboard waste UT’s campus produces in just a few short weeks.
5 April 2014: Sustainability Day of Service
- Join the Center for Leadership & Service, the Student Government Association and UT’s Office of Sustainability for UT’s first annual sustainability focused day of service on April 5th. Students will volunteer from 8:30 to noon with agencies that promote environmental awareness, sustainability, conservation and recycling. Service assignments will include gardening, removal of invasive species, litter cleanup, river cleanup, and more!
- Sign up today!
12 April 2014: Orange and White Game
- Let’s make it the Orange, White, and GREEN Game! Like regular season football games, Earth Month’s game will have a ‘Green Team’. The ‘Green Team’ consists of volunteers that work to Keep Neyland Beautiful! Sign-ups will be posted in late March!
26 April 2014- Move-out: Don’t Throw It Away
- Don’t Throw It Away (DTiA) is a program designed to reduce the waste produced by University of Tennessee students during the end-of-year move out. DTiA raises awareness about re-using items, the usefulness of items that end up in landfills and highlights the missions of our local community partners. DTiA would also raise funds for mini grants that will be based out of the Center for Leadership & Service.
- Volunteers will be needed everyday of move-out from 4:30- 6:30 pm to collect donations. Sign-ups will be posted soon!
If you are a campus or community organization seeking volunteers for an environmental event/project, please email Elly Boehmer. We work with many students seeking service opportunities and aim to connect them with organizations in need of dedicated and enthusiastic environmental leaders.