The Office of Sustainability works to coordinate, manage, advise and report on sustainable initiatives at UT, through research, data collection and collaborations with a variety of on-campus and community stakeholders.
The Office of Sustainability is housed in Facilities Services, part of the Finance & Administration Division. It was formed by the creation of a full-time sustainability manager position in 2007. Since that time, the OS team has grown to include a full-time sustainability outreach coordinator and several part-time sustainability interns.
Sustainability is often defined as meeting today’s needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs (Brundtland Commission 1987). The Office of Sustainability supports environmental sustainability initiatives that
- Reduce air, water, and land pollution from campus operations.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the use of nonrenewable resources.
- Promote recycling and conservation practices among the UT community.
- Protect and enhance the beauty of campus grounds and facilities.
- Demonstrate the university’s commitment to environmental stewardship.